Ever since I became vegan, banana bread has become a staple for me! I like to bake a big loaf on Sunday evenings so I have banana bread throughout the week to take to work. Well, if I don't eat it all on Sunday evening that is. I came up with this vegan chocolate zucchini banana bread recipe as a perfect way to get in some greens but also enjoy a little treat.
Why would you want to add zucchini to a banana bread?
ZUCCHINI?? You might be thinking. And I get it. But trust me, you don't taste it at all.
Zucchini is a great choice to add to a chocolate banana bread because
- it adds a nice texture to the banana bread
- you cannot taste it
- it's an easy way to sneak in some healthy, green veggies
What you need to make this easy vegan chocolate zucchini banana bread?
To make this chocolate zucchini banana bread, you need
- bananas: You'll want to use super ripe bananas for this recipe. This is great for using up leftover bananas that are about to go bad. The riper the banana, the sweeter it is!
- plant-based milk: I prefer using soy milk for baking recipes.
- coconut oil
- agave syrup: You can also use another liquid sweetener like maple syrup or date syrup.
- flour: I prefer using whole wheat flour because it has more nutrients than white flour.
- baking powder
- cocoa powder
- optional: an extra banana - slice it inhale and add it on top before baking for a beautiful result
- optional: chocolate chunks - you can either mix them into the batter or add them on top
How to make this vegan chocolate zucchini banana bread
Making this chocolate zucchini banana bread is super easy! First, we need to grate/blend the zucchini. You can either grate your zucchini with a grater, but I just like to cut it into big chunks and throw it into my blender.
Then I pulse it a few times so that it is fine and there are no big pieces left. You can also use a smoothie mixer if you don't have a high-speed blender and it'll work just fine.
What I love most about this chocolate zucchini banana bread recipe is that you only need one bowl. This means less dishes to clean! Mash the bananas in a big bowl with a fork. You want to make sure there are no big chunks left - a few small chunks are totally fine. I actually prefer mashing bananas for banana bread with a fork instead of just blending them in a blender because it results in a nicer texture.
Once the bananas are mashed, you can add all of the wet ingredients and mix well. Then you only need to add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
Transfer the banana bread batter to a lined loaf pan. Now you can add toppings if you like (like nuts, chocolate or more banana).
Bake the chocolate zucchini banana bread in your oven for 50 minutes. I'd check it after 30/40 minutes to make sure it's not burning.
How you can customize this vegan chocolate zucchini banana bread
Before I bake the chocolate zucchini banana bread, I like to top it with one sliced banana as you can see on the picture below. I think it looks super pretty. Also, the banana caramelizes in the oven so it's a nice surprise on top.
You can also add some chocolate pieces on top and they will melt beautifully. If you want to go for a healthier alternative, you can use cacao nibs or nuts. I have tried walnuts and pecans and they both go really well!
Tips for making this vegan chocolate zucchini banana bread
If I can give you one tip for making this recipe, it would be to make more than you think you'll eat! I'm always surprised by how fast I can finish a loaf of banana bread. So go ahead and double the recipe!
I've also found that you don't have to be super precise with the measurements for the bananas. With bananas, it is difficult to get exactly 350 g because every banana is different. But don't worry, just try to get roughly the given amounts and you'll be fine.
Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread
- 350 g ripe bananas 4 medium bananas
- 150 g zucchini
- 100 ml plant-based milk like soy milk
- 30 g coconut oil (melted) 4 tbsp liquid coconut oil
- 20 g agave syrup
- 100 g oats
- 240 g whole wheat flour
- 10 g baking powder
- 25 g cocoa powder 6 tbsp
- chocolate chunks for topping
- extra banana for topping
- Preheat your oven to 160C/320F.
- Cut the zucchini into chunks and blend in a blender until no chunks are left. Alternatively, grate finely.
- Mash the ripe bananas in a big mixing bowl using a fork. Make sure there are no big lumps left, small lumps are fine.
- Add the grated zucchini, plant-based milk, liquid coconut oil and agave syrup and mix well to combine.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and stir until evenly incorporated.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper to prevent the bread from sticking to the pan. Bake the chocolate banana bread in the oven for approximately 50 minutes. Optionally, you can add 1 extra banana (sliced in half) and chocolate chunks on top before baking.
- Let cool slightly before you remove it from the pan. Serve warm or store in a dry place for a couple of days.
Other recipes you may like
Did you make this vegan chocolate zucchini banana bread?
Your support of a comment or rating is highly appreciated! You can also tag me on instagram – I would love to see your creations!
This is my new favourite recipe! I love that this bread is soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside ❤ absolutely recommendable 🙂
I'm glad that you liked it so much! 🙂