What the Heck Are Poke Bowls?
How to Make Poke Bowls
Toppings: Traditionall, poke bowls are served with raw fish. To make it vegan, you can either make your own vegan fish (see below for the vegan tuna recipe) or use tofu, sweet potatoes or mushrooms. And don't forget the fruit & veggie toppings. Here's some inspiration: avocado, shiitake mushrooms, dried seaweed, crispy onions, toasted coconut, bean sprouts, mango, carrots, chopped kale, cucumber, edamame, pickled radish, pickled or fresh ginger.
Dressing: Sauces are often made with soy sauce or other salty umami bases. You can add lime or lemon juice for a citrus-y flavor, or some sesame or garlic.
And if you like it spicy, you can top everything with some additional hot sauce or some wasabi!
Making Vegan Tuna with Watermelon
Vegan Tuna Poke Bowl with 6 Delicious Toppings
Vegan Tuna Poke Bowl
- Prepare the pickled radish: Bring a pot of water (enough to completely fill your pickling jar) to a boil. Add apple cider vinegar and sugar and let simmer for a few minutes. In the meantime chop the radish into thin slices and stuff into your pickling jar. Add the water-vinegar-sugar mixture so that everything is covered. Seal and store at a cold, dark place overnight.
- Vegan watermelon tuna: Preheat your oven to 180°C/360°F. Cut the watermelon into little cubes and remove any obvious seeds. Toss in salt and add to a baking tray.
- Bake the watermelon cubes for 60 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
- Once done, combine the marinade ingredients (no-fish sauce, vegetable oil, liquid smoke, salt, sesame seeds) and marinate the watermelon for at least 30 minutes.
- Poke Bowl: In the meantime, you can prepare the rest of the ingredients. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Cut the spring onions into thin rings. Slice the cucumber. Also prepare the avocado and cut it into little cubes. Set aside.
- If you're using unpeeled edamame, remove them from the shells and set aside. 150g of unpeeled edamame will yield approximately 50g edamame beans.
- Once the rice is cooked, divide between two bowls. Top with the watermelon tuna, than add all the remaining toppings (spring onions, edamame, cucumber, avocado and pickled radish).
- Enjoy with a dash of hot sauce!
Error: API requests are being delayed for this account. New posts will not be retrieved.
Log in as an administrator and view the Instagram Feed settings page for more details.