This tofu and black bean chili comes together in only 25 minutes and is perfect for your next meal prep! It is made with healthy ingredients and packed with plant-based protein. Chili is one of my favorite meals to prepare ahead because it’s so easy to make, store and reheat.
What You Need To Make This Vegan Tofu & Black Bean Chili
Here’s what you need to make this delicious chili:
- tofu (I like to use firm or extra-firm tofu, silken tofu won’t work for this recipe)
- canned black beans
- red onion and garlic
- chili pepper (with seeds or without, depends on your preferences)
- tomato paste
- zucchini and sweet corn to add some veggies and color
- crushed tomatoes (pureed also works fine)
- spices: paprika powder, cumin, chili flakes, cayenne pepper
I like to serve this tofu and black bean chili with whole-grain rice, some tortilla chips and a dollop of vegan sour cream. Did you know you can easily make your own vegan sour cream? Blend soaked cashews, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and vegan probiotic powder and let it ferment for a couple of days.
This Tofu & Black Bean Chili is Perfect For Meal Prep
My favorite recipes for meal prepping are curries, soups, stews and chili. Here’s why this chili recipe would be great for your next meal prep:
- First of all, it is made with simple plant-based ingredients. Most of them you’ll likely already have in your kitchen
- It’s a great recipe to use leftovers – why not switch the black beans with some kidney beans that need to be used up or add some frozen veggies?
- You can cook a big batch of this recipe which is great if you want to cook for more than one.
- If you don’t feel like eating the same over and over again, this chili can easily be frozen and then reheated when you feel like chili again.
- Unlike other recipes, this chili can easily be reheated and tasted just as good (or even better) on the second day!
Tofu & Black Bean Chili
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 chili pepper red or green
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 600 g firm tofu
- 1 zucchini medium
- 2 cup black beans, cooked ~ 300g
- 1 can sweet corn ~ 250g
- 2 cans pureed/crushed tomatoes ~ 500g
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes optional
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Remove the seeds from the chili (or leave them in if you like it spicy!) and mince as well.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, garlic and chili for 2-3 minutes. Add water if necessary to prevent burning.
- Next, add in the tomato paste, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and chili (optionally, depends on your preferences). Stir and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze with water and crumble in the tofu. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop the zucchini into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the black beans, zucchini, sweet corn and crushed tomatoes to the saucepan. If there is not enough liquid, fill up with water. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the chili has thickened.
- Finally, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some vegan sour cream, rice, or tortilla chips.