Tired of lentil or tofu bolognese? Try this vegan mushroom bolognese sauce! It is full of flavor, has a great texture and it's so easy to make - only 3 steps and 25 minutes!
What you need to make this simple vegan mushroom bolognese sauce
You only need a few simple and healthy ingredients to make this delicious mushroom bolognese:
- onion: You can use both white or red onion.
- mushrooms: I used portobello mushrooms for this but other types like oyster mushrooms will also work.
- tomato paste
- pureed/chopped canned tomatoes
- chopped walnuts
- dried herbs (like oregano, thyme, marjoram, rosemary or a mix of those)
- salt and pepper
How to make this vegan mushroom bolognese sauce
This recipe is so easy, it only has three steps: Chop, saute and simmer.
First we're dicing the onion and garlic and finely chopping the mushrooms. What I did was just throw the mushrooms into my food processor and pulse a couple of times. This is a lot easier than chopping the mushrooms with a knive. Plus, you can get them really finely diced, which I think adds a lot to the texture of this dish.
Next, all you gotta do is fry the onion, garlic and mushrooms in a non-stick pan. You can totally make this recipe oil-free and only saute them in a little bit of water. Be careful not to add too much water as the mushrooms release quite a bit of liquid as well and you don't want your sauce to be too runny.
And finally, we are adding some chopped walnuts and tomatoes. Bring everything to a simmer, season with herbs, salt and pepper and you're done.
Vegan Mushroom Bolognese Sauce
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 400 g mushrooms I used portobello
- ⅛ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup canned/pureed tomatoes you can use upto 1 ½ cups for a more saucy sauce
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- 1 tbsp dried herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the onion, mince the garlic.
- Finely chop/dice the mushrooms (it’s easiest in a food processor, just give it a few pulses).
- Add onion, garlic and mushrooms to a pan on high heat and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with your favorite pasta.
Other recipes you may like?
Did you make this vegan mushroom bolognese sauce?
Your support of a comment or rating is highly appreciated! You can also tag me on instagram – I would love to see your creations!