How To Make A Vegan Mac And Cheese Sauce
Take This Vegan Mac And Cheese Recipe To The Next Level With Coconut Bacon
Tips For Making This Vegan Mac And Cheese Recipe Extra Creamy
- Make sure to soak the cashews before you blend them so they are softer and easier to blend. You can speed the soaking process up by pouring some boiling water over the cashews.
- Instead of using cashew milk, you can use a plant-based alternative to cooking cream. There are different brands that offer vegan cooking creams made from coconut, rice, soy or cashews (sometimes called "soy/rice cuisine").
- If you want to make an even more realistic vegan mac and cheese sauce, you can add a little bit of tapioca powder. Tapioca is also used to make vegan mozzarella and gives it a stretchy consistency.
The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
- high-speed blender or food processor
for the vegan mac and cheese sauce
- 50 g cashews
- 4 medium potatoes (250g)
- 1 large carrot (100g)
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp tahini
- ½ lemon (juice)
- 200 ml cashew milk or vegan cooking cream
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp mustard
for the coconut bacon
- 20 g dried coconut chips
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 250 g broccoli
- 250 g pasta
To make the coconut bacon
- If you’re making coconut bacon, start by combining the coconut chips with the remaining ingredients. Give it a good toss to coat everything in the mixture and spread out on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes (~ 150C) until slightly golden and crispy, but not burnt.
To make the vegan mac and cheese sauce
- Start by boiling some water and pouring it over the cashews to soak for ~15 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel the potatoes and carrot, chop into bite-sized pieces and cook for ~10 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and add to a high-speed blender or food processor. Add the remaining ingredients for the sauce and blend until smooth. You may want to scrape down the sides once in a while.
To make the vegan mac and cheese dish
- Boil the pasta according to package instructions.
- Wash the broccoli and cut into little florets. Place in the microwave for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta to a mixing bowl with the broccoli and mac and cheese sauce. Coat everything with the sauce evenly.
- Top with the coconut bacon and go ahead and serve as is. Alternatively transfer to a baking dish and bake in the oven for another 15-20 minutes, then add the coconut bacon and enjoy.