This vegan meal prep burrito bowl is the perfect make-ahead lunch or dinner! It is bursting with flavors and a great healthy (and cheaper) alternative to take-out! This vegan burrito bowl is easy to make, oil-free, made with wholesome ingredients and easily customizable.
What You Need To Make This Vegan Meal Prep Burrito Bowl
Here's what you need to make this delicious burrito bowl:
- whole grain rice
- sweet potatoes
- red or green bell peppers
- cooked black beans (or you can start from scratch and cook your own)
- tomato salsa (see recipe below to make your own)
- a delicious tahini sauce to add on top
Assembling the meal prep bowl is really easy. The recipe below makes 4 servings - just divide all of the prepared ingredients between 4 bowls or meal prep containers. If you don't have so many meal prep containers, you can store each ingredient individually and then assemble right before you want to eat it.
How You Can Customize This Vegan Burrito Bowl
Here are a few ideas how you can customize this bowl:
- If you don't like bell peppers, you could also add broccoli or zucchini instead. Bake them in the oven the same way you would with the bell peppers.
- Instead of rice, you could also make a cauliflower rice for a lighter version, or use quinoa, couscous or bulgur.
- Why not add some fried sweet corn for some extra flavor and color?
- Instead of black beans, you could also make a tofu crumble or replace with sunflower seed or TVP (soy protein) taco meat.
Vegan Meal Prep Burrito Bowl
- 4 sweet potatoes (medium) ~ 800g
- 2 bell peppers ~ 500g
- 1 cup rice ~ 200g
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
for the black beans
- 3 cups black beans, cooked ~ 500g
- 1 red onion, small
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can pureed/crushed tomatoes ~ 250g
- ½ tbsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp cumin
for the tomato salsa
- 2 tomatoes, large ~ 300g
- 1 lime (juice)
- 1 spring onion
for the tahini sauce
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or any other liquid sweetener
- ½ lemon (juice)
- Preheat the oven to 200C (390F).
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into bite-sized cubes. Place in a bowl and season with ½ tbsp paprika, ½ tbsp cumin, ½ tsp cayenne and salt and pepper. Add to a baking tray.
- Wash the bell peppers and cut into thin strips. Add to a bowl with ½ tbsp paprika, ½ tbsp cumin, ½ tsp cayenne and salt and pepper. Mix well and add to the baking tray.
- Bake the sweet potatoes and bell peppers for ~30 minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the rice according to package instructions.
To make the black beans
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Cook in a large pan for a few minutes, then add the tomato paste, paprika powder and cumin. Cook for another minute.
- Deglaze with water if necessary. Then add the black beans and crushed tomatoes. If the mixture is too thick, add some water.
- Simmer for ~10 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
To make the tomato salsa
- Finely dice the tomatoes and spring onion. Add to a bowl with the lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
To make the tahini sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and stir well. If the sauce is too thick, add water until desired consistency is reached.
To assemble the vegan burrito bowls
- To each bowl/meal prep container, add ¼ of the cooked rice, baked sweet potato, bell peppers, black beans, tomato salsa and tahini sauce. If you are making this for a meal prep, you can store the salsa and sauce separately.
Ready to get started with meal prepping and make eating healthy delicious meals a no-brainer? Check out this 3-day vegan lunch and dinner meal prep (it only takes 60 minutes!) or this 5-day vegan lunch meal prep with sushi and lasagna!