Before I went vegan, I never liked sushi with raw fish, but now I love vegan sushi! If you're a sushi fan like me, you'll love these two easy recipes for vegan sushi with carrot lox and tahini tofu. One is with carrot lox and tofu cream cheese, and the other with tahini baked tofu. But feel free to mix and match the ingredients as you like.
What You Need To Make Vegan Sushi with Carrot Lox and Tahini Tofu
To make vegan sushi, you will need the following ingredients:
- sushi rice
- rice vinegar
- nori sheets
- vegan fillings, in this case carrot lox, tofu cream cheese, tahini tofu, cucumber and spring onion
- soy sauce or tamari sauce to serve the sushi with
You'll also need a sushi rolling mat as it will make the rolling a lot easier! If you don't have sushi rice, you can try it with another type of rice that is short-grain and high in starch. I've used risotto rice before and it worked great.
A Few Tips on Making Vegan Sushi
Here are a few tips on making vegan sushi. It may seem intimidating to try making your own sushi, but trust me, once you get the hang of it, it's so easy! And you'll never want to stop and try all the different vegan sushi combinations.
- Make sure the sushi rice has cooled down slightly after cooking before you begin rolling the sushi rolls. This makes it easier to handle but also doesn't cause the nori sheets to crinkle.
- When you first start, I suggest you don't add too much sushi rice to one nori sheet as it gets more difficult to roll.
- Leave the top third/fourth of the nori sheet empty so that it's easier to close the sushi roll.
Vegan Sushi With Carrot Lox and Tahini Tofu
- 1 ½ cups sushi rice alternatively use risotto rice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 6 nori sheets
- 6 sticks baked tahini tofu recipe linked below
- carrot lox see notes
- 1 cucumber small
- 2 spring onions
- soy sauce or tamari sauce to serve
For the tofu cream cheese
- ⅛ cup sunflower seeds
- 80 g tofu
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ clove of garlic
- ½ tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Start by soaking the sunflower seeds in water for ~10 minutes.
Cook the sushi rice
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
- Cook the sushi rice with approximately 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. The rice should absorb all the liquid.
- Allow the rice to cool for 10-15 minutes.
Make the tofu cream cheese
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the sushi
- Prepare and set out all the remaining ingredients. Cut the spring onions and cucumber into thin sticks.
- For the tahini tofu sushi, place a nori sheet on a rolling mat and add some sushi rice in a thin layer on the bottom ⅔ of the nori sheet. Add two tahini tofu sticks to the bottom (next to each other), as well as cucumber and spring onion sticks. Start rolling from the bottom up.
- For the carrot lox sushi, place a nori sheet on the rolling mat and add sushi rice in a thin layer on the bottom ⅔ of the nori sheet. Add ⅓ of the tofu cream cheese and spread evenly onto the rice. Add a few pieces of carrot lox and some cucumber and spring onion. Again, start rolling from the bottom up.
- Make 3 tahini tofu sushi rolls and 3 carrot lox suhi rolls in total.
- Cut into 8-10 pieces of sushi per roll and serve with soy sauce.
You can find the recipe for the tahini tofu here.