This delicious vegan cashew cheese comes together in 15 minutes and it is made with only 6 ingredients. The recipe is also oil-free! Cashew cheese is so versatile – you can spread it on bread or crackers, make lasagna, fill tortellini, use it as a potato dip or turn it into a creamy pasta sauce.
Common questions about vegan cashew cheese
Why do you use cashews for this vegan cheese recipe?
Cashew nuts are very high in fats which adds a nice creamy and rich texture to this vegan cheese recipe. When soaked, they are also very easy to blend which makes this cheese even creamier.
Can you replace cashews with almonds?
Yes, you could replace the cashews with almonds. However, you want to use blanched almonds as otherwise the peel of the almonds will make the vegan cheese less creamy. You may get different results regarding texture and taste, though, if you replace cashews with almonds.
If you are allergic to nuts, you could also use sunflower seeds.
Do you need to refrigerate vegan cashew cheese?
This vegan cashew cheese is best stored in the fridge. You can spoon it into little mason jars or another container and place it in the fridge. In my opinion, this cashew cheese becomes even better after sitting in the fridge for a few days. The flavors develop really nicely after a few days.
How long can you store vegan cashew cheese?
When stored in the fridge in an air-tight container, this vegan cashew cheese will last for about one week.
What can you do with cashew cheese?
The best part (besides being so easy to make) of this cashew cheese recipe is that it is so versatile! Here are a few ideas what you can make with it:
- spread it onto bread, sandwiches, wraps and bagels
- serve with crackers
- make vegan lasagna
- fill tortellini (cashew cheese and spinach go really well together!)
- water it down (with water or plant milk) to make a creamy pasta sauce
- use as a potato dip
- use as a pizza topping
- make vegan grilled cheese
- make a salad dressing
What you need to make vegan cashew cheese
To make this delicious cashew cheese, you only need 6 ingredients:
- cashews: to add a nice, creamy texture to the vegan cheese
- lemon juice: to add some acidity and balance out the flavors
- nutritional yeast: this adds the cheese-like flavor
- salt: adjust amount to your preferences
- pepper: adjust amount to your preferences
- garlic powder: this adds more cheese-like flavors
Nutritional yeast not only adds a delicious, cheesy flavor to this recipe. It also has a lot of nutritional benefits for our body. Nutritional yeast is high in vitamin B1, B2 (riboflavin), B3, B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 and B9 (folate). With just one spoon of nutritional yeast, we can cover significant parts of our daily needs for these vitamins.
How to make vegan cashew cheese
First, cover the cashews with boiling water and let them soak for 10 minutes. This softens the cashews and results in creamier cashew cheese.
Preferably, you should let them soak overnight. This reduces the phytic acid in the cashews. Phytic acid is undesirable as it hinders mineral absorption in our body.
To a blender, add the (drained) cashews, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Blend for about 5 minutes, adding water a tablespoon at a time until you reach a creamy consistency.
Depending on your preferences and your blender/food processor, you will need to add less or more water.
Taste and add more salt and pepper to the cashew cheese to your preferences. Then, transfer to a glass jar or food prep container (read more about the best food prep containers here).
Store the cashew cheese in the fridge for up to a week.
Looking for more vegan cheese recipes?
- High-Protein Vegan Cheese Sauce Recipe (no nuts)
- The Best Vegan Mac And Cheese (oil-free)
- Vegan Strawberry Cheesecake Bites
Did you make this cashew cheese recipe?
Please leave a comment below, share or rate this recipe. You can also tag me on instagram – I would love to see your creations!
Vegan Cashew Cheese
- high-speed blender or food processor
- 2 cups cashews soaked (250g)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Let the cashews soak overnight. If you are short on time, cover them with boiling water and let soak for 10 min.
- Drain the cashews and add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend for 5 minutes, adding water a tablespoon at a time until a creamy consistency is reached.
- Fill into glass jars or food containers and store in the fridge for up to a week.