The Best Cooking Technique For Delicious Homemade Seitan
How to Make Seitan and What to Do With It
Homemade Seitan Recipe
- 1 tsp each: paprika, turmeric, dried oregano, dried thyme, onion powder (or another spice combo you like)
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- a few drops of liquid smoke
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and combine.
- Then add the wet ingredients and give it a good mix with a wooden spoon. Once a dough stars to form, continue kneading with your hands for 5-10 minutes until the dough is stretchy. The kneading is important to active the gluten and get the right consistency.
- Form a flat disc (the dough will be hard to shape but that’s ok, doesn’t have to be perfect) and bake in the oven at 180C for ~40 minutes.
- If you like, cut the seitan into strips and fry in a non stick pan for a couple minutes for a crispier outside.