This healthy and easy-to-make sweet potato porridge has it all. It's oil-free, sweet, a little bit crunchy, a little bit salty and oh-so filling. It comes together in just 20 minutes and you can even make it ahead of time! I just love sweet potato and adding it to my oatmeal porridge was definitely a great idea!
Sweet Potatoes for Breakfast???
I love having oatmeal in the morning. It's just so satisfying, I can add all the toppings I fancy (peanut butter, peanut butter and did I mention peanut butter?) and especially on a chilly day, it warms me up inside. But sometimes, I get a little bit bored of my standard go-to banana chocolate oatmeal so I thought why not throw in some sweet potato for a change?
Sweet potato for breakfast?? you may be wondering now. It does seem a bit weird at first, I admit. But you can actually make a lot of breakfast meals with sweet potato - sweet potato waffles, sweet potato toast, sweet potato tacos, sweet potato brownies, sweet potato pancakes... While sweet potatoes are not as sweet as fruits like banana or mango, they are definitely not savory like regular potatoes. So if paired with something sweet such as mashed bananas, they do make a great sweet breakfast.
This Sweet Potato Porridge Makes for a Quick Breakfast
You can make this recipe in just 20 minutes. Sweet potatoes actually cook a lot faster than normal potatoes. If you cut them into small cubes, it only takes a couple minutes. And even if you're in a rush in the mornings, you can totally make this recipe ahead of time. Just pop it in the microwave to reheat when you want to have breakfast and there you go.
This Sweet Potato Porridge Is Made With Healthy Wholesome Ingredients
In this recipe, we are using sweet potatoes, mashed banana and agave syrup for sweetness. I almost always add mashed banana to my oatmeal or overnight oats because banana is an amazing natural sweetener. Make sure you choose a very ripe banana with brown spots as they are sweeter than unripe bananas (and easier to mash).
I decided to top my sweet potato porridge with peanut butter, crushed almonds and more banana. I think the peanut butter goes really well with the sweet potato oats. Or you could add some dark chocolate pieces. Walnuts or hazelnuts would also be great.
Sweet Potato Porridge
– 1 large sweet potato (~ 400 g)
– 100 g rolled oats
– 300 ml plant-based milk
– 1 large banana
– 1 tbsp agave syrup
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– pinch of salt
– handful of almonds
– 2 tsp peanut butter
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. In the meantime, peel the sweet potato and cut into little cubes. Cook the sweet potato for ~ 5 minutes until soft and you can mash it with a fork.
- While the potato is cooking, you can prepare the other ingredients. Mash half of the banana, cut the second half into thin slices. Combine rolled oats, plant milk, mashed banana, agave syrup, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- When the sweet potato is cooked, remove the water and add back into the pot. Mash until there are no chunks left. Add in the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes until the oats are soft and the liquid is absorbed.
- Divide the porridge between two bowls. Top with the remaining banana, crushed almonds and peanut butter and enjoy warm.
You could also use buckwheat groats or quinoa instead of rolled oats but you may need to adjust the cooking time.