Do you need a simple and healthy recipe that makes a great lunch on the go? Or you come home after a long day and don't want to worry about making dinner and just want something that is satisfying? Then this vegan sushi bowl is for you! Whether you make it to take to work, or to have for dinner, this bowl can be made in advance and doesn't take long at all.
Other Vegan Meal Prep Recipes You May Like
- Summer Fruit Overnight Oats With Peach & Apricot Jam
- Sundried Tomato Pesto Pasta Salad
- Tofu & Black Bean Chili for Meal Prepping
- Simple Vegan Lentil Bolognese Recipe
- Vegan Chia Pudding
- How To Make Vegan Mongolian Beef
- Vegan Meal Prep Burrito Bowl
What You Need For This Vegan Sushi Bowl
To make this delicious vegan sushi meal prep bowl, you'll need:
- rice: Of course, you can use sushi rice for this recipe. If you don't have sushi rice, that is totally fine. I used brown rice and it also tasted great.
- edamame: For this recipe, we'll use frozen edamame (the ones that do not come in the shell). Edamame are a great source of plant-based protein.
- red cabbage
- tofu: For this recipe, firm or extra-firm tofu works best.
- soy sauce: Of course, what would be a sushi bowl without soy sauce? We use the soy sauce to marinate the tofu so it doesn't dry out while baking. Also, save some more to serve with. If you can't have soy sauce, you can also use tamari.
- cornstarch: The cornstarch makes the tofu crisp up while baking without having to use oil.
- sesame seeds
How To Make Black Sesame Seed Tofu
First, take a block of firm or extra-firm tofu and cut it into bite-sized pieces. You can make simple cubes or you can go for something more fancy and cut little triangles.
Add your tofu cubes/squares to a mixing bowl and add a tablespoon of soy sauce (or tamari). Use a spoon or shake the bowl to combine so that every tofu piece has soaked up the soy sauce.
Next, add the cornstarch and black sesame seeds and give everything another good mix. Transfer tofu to a baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake the tofu in the oven for approximately 20 minutes at 200C until crispy.
While the tofu is in the oven, you can continue with the other parts of this recipe. When you take the tofu out of the oven after 20 minutes, it should be crispy but not too dry.
How To Make This Vegan Sushi Bowl
When your tofu is in the oven, continue with the rice. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the rice according to package instructions. Do not overcook the rice - we don't want mushy rice.
Next, prepare the vegetables. Cut the cucumber and carrot into thin sticks. Alternatively, you can grate the carrot. Thinly slice the red cabbage.
Set aside the edamame to thaw slightly.
When the tofu and rice are done, it is time to assemble our vegan sushi bowls. The recipe makes enough for 2 servings.
How To Store This Vegan Sushi Bowl
I'd recommend to store the sushi meal prep bowl in some glass containers (or other containers you use for meal prepping). They can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days although the tofu may dry out on the last days. To prevent this, you can add some soy sauce to the tofu when you eat the bowl.
If you don't plan on taking this bowl with you (to work, to school, ...) but want to have it in the evening, you can also store the individual ingredients separately.
Vegan Sushi Meal Prep Bowl
for the tofu
- 300 g tofu firm or extra-firm
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
for the bowl
- ⅔ cup frozen edamame 100g
- ⅔ cup brown rice or sushi rice, 130g
- 1 carrot
- ½ small red cabbage
- 1 small cucumber
- soy sauce to serve
to make the tofu
- Preheat your oven to 200C. Then, cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces (cubes or triangles).
- Add to a mixing bowl and add the soy sauce. Give it a good mix.
- Next, add the cornstarch and black sesame seeds and give it another good mix.
- Transfer to a baking tray and spread evenly. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until crispy but not dry.
to make the bowls
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook rice according to package instructions (not too mushy).
- Cut the carrot and cucumber into thin sticks.
- Thinly slice the red cabbage.
- Set aside the edamame for assembling.
- When the tofu and rice is done, divide everything evenly between two meal prep containers.